Medical Travel Company - Affordable Surgery Medical Tourism Procedures Destinations About Us Member Services  

 AC Power Converters    

If you will be bringing electric appliances along on your medical tourism journey, you may want to consider purchasing an AC Power Converter or AC Plug Adapter, depending on your needs.

Although most of our health tourism hotels do have these components, we cannot guarantee they will have one available for you at the time of your visit. Availability is dependant on the demand. So, to avoid any possibilities of being left without a power converter, we have provided some information about the process and various links to purchase the components before you embark on your medical travel experience.

AC to AC Power Conversion (Foreign Voltage Converters)

Purpose of Converter / Explanation of Operation

AC-to-AC voltage converters, or travel converters, are designed to convert the voltage used in a foreign country to the voltage required for a particular AC device. These converters are either transformer-based or solid-state, and this affects what type of devices the converter can power. In addition to converting the power, you will often need to also use a plug adapter. Plug adapters are generally either built into the converter, or provided as separate parts. They are also sold separately, for use with multi-voltage devices that are designed to convert the power internally.

Selecting a Converter

These are one of the more confusing of the power conversion devices. Because of the range of voltages, plug types and converter designs, many customers find that they need help determining exactly which converter they need. To aid in that process, we have put together a short worksheet to help you determine what type of converter is needed: We recommend that you print out thi sheet when taking a number of different devices to a different country.

First, you should determine the electrical requirements (voltage, frequency, and wattage) for the device(s) you will be taking with you. This information is generally on a label or embossed into the back or bottom of the device. Make a note of the voltage(s), frequency or frequencies, and the wattage indicated for each device.

  • The voltage may be given as either V, VAC or VDC. The standard voltage for US devices is 120 V. Devices that are designed to operate using different input voltages will be labeled, such as 110/120 V, or 120/240 V.
  • The frequency will be given in Hz. The standard frequency for US devices is 60 Hz. Devices that are designed to operate using different frequencies will be labeled, such as 50/60 Hz.
  • The wattage will be given in either watts (W) or volt-amps (VA). If the wattage is not listed on the device, you will need to contact the device's manufacturer for this information. If you have the maximum current consumption (in amps), you can calculate the wattage by multiplying the voltage (V) times the current consumption (A). 

Next, you will need to know the electrical requirements for the country you are going to be visiting.

  • Look up the country you will be visiting on our Guide to Worldwide Electrical Voltages, Frequencies and Plug Types. Click on the following link for more information:
  • Make a note of the voltage(s), the frequency (50, 60 or 50/60 Hz) and the plug type(s).

Then, you will need to compare your equipment requirements to the country's information to determine whether you need a Step-up or Step-down Voltage converter.  

  • If your equipment accepts the voltage and frequency provided by the country you will be visiting, then only a Plug Adapter will be required.
  • If the voltage of the target country is higher than the voltage required by your device(s), you will need a Step-Up Voltage Converter. (This applies to products that are used in the US)
  • If the voltage of the target country is lower than the voltage required by your device(s), you will need a Step-Down Voltage Converter. (Does not apply to to US products)

Once you know what type of converter or adapter you need, consult our list of travel power conversion products to find one that meets your requirements.


  • The AC outlet in many foreign bathrooms is for low-wattage devices only. To avoid damage to your converter and/or attached device, check with your host or hotel before powering a high-wattage device (such as a hair dryer) from this plug.
  • Do not use a voltage converter with electronic devices such as televisions, VCR's and computers unless the device indicates that it can handle both 50 Hz and 60 Hz.
  • Do not use heating appliances, such as hair dryers, irons and coffee-makers, on a transformer-based voltage converter.
  • Do not use non-heating electronic devices, such as calculators, electric razors and portable audio players, on solid-state voltage converter.
  • Do not use 110-120 VAC Surge protectors or Uninterruptible Power supplies on a 220-240 VAC system. Even with a step-down power converter, damage could occur as the two power systems are wired differently. 

For complete information about AC Power Conversion, please click on the following link, compliments of Radio Shack:

Here's the World Electric Guide to AC Power Conversion to determine which Plug Adapter you will need in your chosen travel destination:

The Next Step

Please choose one of the following companies to purchase your accessories:

AC Power Converter/Plug Adapter Kits (most versatile component)

Assortment of AC Converters and Plug Adapters

Plug Adapters Only

Please Note: Before you travel, please make sure your electric appliances can plug into the converter/adapter receptacle. You may need to use a three-prong plug adapter with appliances that have a ground pin. Here's a picture of one:

You can purchase this item at almost
any hardware or grocery store.


  Copyright 2019 MedRetreat. All rights reserved. Site Map |Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement Web design by Intechnic